UPS sets the 2020 investment agenda ahead of 2019 Q4 results
30 / 01 / 2020
UPS has announced a number of product and technology upgrades, plus sustainability initiatives, ahead of publishing its 2019 fourth quarter and full-year results later today.
The US global logistics, e-commerce and parcel delivery giant said that its “aggressive roll-out” of innovative new services and solutions was “squarely focused on the needs of its customers, especially small and medium-sized businesses”.
In a statement, the company added: “Many of the solutions work together to provide superior visibility, control, convenience and customer value versus competitor solutions that cannot leverage a fully integrated transportation network.
“Additionally, the company will bring online more investments designed to speed time-in-transit and increase network capacity, providing all UPS customers with additional capabilities for future success”.
The lengthy list of improvements includes:
- Additional investments in speed and network capability with more than 5m sq ft of new automated sortation coming on line in 2020; initial announcement of $1.4bn investment in Pennsylvania UPS locations, creating 1,700 new jobs
- Expansion of UPS Extended Hours service and weekend pickup and delivery
- My Choice for business international expansion to 30 countries and territories in 2020
- Square Online Store adds in-platform UPS Digital Access Program offers
- Smart upgrade added to ups.com, simplifying cross-border shipping
- Continuous route optimization in next-generation ORION enables new customer services, saves miles and fuel
- UPS Flight Forward drone delivery service expands to University of California at San Diego hospital network under Part 107 certification
- Equity investment in innovative electric vehicle manufacturer Arrival and commitment to purchase 10,000 Arrival delivery vehicles
- Testing autonomous ground shuttle service in Arizona with Waymo
UPS chairman and chief executive David Abney said: “In 2019, UPS launched more new services and operational innovations than in any year in the company’s recent history.
“We are demonstrating further bold action in 2020 as we embrace market trends, invest for growth, partner for added reach and develop unique capabilities using next generation technologies.”