SpiceJet hives off its air cargo business

Image source: SpiceXpress

Indian low-cost carrier SpiceJet has finally spun off its SpiceXpress freighter business as it looks to grow the company.

SpiceJet said that SpiceXpress became a standalone entity on April 1 through a slump sale worth around Rs25bn.

The airline will retain a 98% shareholding in the freighter operator with the remaining 2% owned by SpiceXpress Employees Welfare Trust.

The new entity will be known as SpiceXpress and Logistics. The company first announced plans to spin off its cargo business in 2021.

The move will help SpiceXpress to raise cash independently and reduce SpiceJet’s negative net worth.

SpiceJet posted net loss of over Rs15bn for the first nine months of the year ending March 2023.

A couple of weeks ago, the airline agreed to a debt-for-equity deal with lessor Carlyle Aviation Group, which saw the airline restructure close to $100m in outstanding payments into shares and compulsory convertible debentures.

The hive-off will further strengthen and deleverage the airline’s balance sheet, SpiceJet said.

“The transfer of cargo business undertaking to [SpiceXpress and Logistics] will provide greater and differentiated focus to cargo and logistics business and will allow the possibility of
raising capital for the business to accelerate its growth,” SpiceJet said.

“The transfer, with separate and enhanced management focus, will provide greater opportunity and flexibility in pursuing long-term growth plans and strategies.

“It will also assist the management in evaluating the business performance as an independent entity while leveraging and unlocking significant value for the Company and its shareholders.”

Ajay Singh, chairman and managing director of SpiceJet, said: “The separation of our cargo and logistics arm is a stepping stone in our growth story which shall unfold in the times to come.

“SpiceXpress will provide greater and differentiated focus to cargo and logistics business and will allow the possibility of raising capital for the business to accelerate its growth.

“The decision to hive off SpiceXpress is in sync with our long-term business plan and will unlock significant valuation of the logistic business.

“Both SpiceJet and SpiceXpress have great potential and will complement each other well.”

Singh recently said the new unit is expected to get a large number of dedicated freighters in the near term, while the cargo business will “help pay off” some of the airline’s liabilities.

SpiceJet to transfer cargo and logistics business to SpiceXpress

Share this story

Related Topics

Latest airlines news

Silk Way West flies yaks to Azerbaijan

Baku-hubbed Silk Way West Airlines has flown 116 yaks from Kyrgyzstan to Azerbaijan as part of a breeding programme. The…

Read More

Share this story

JD Airlines to lease four 737-800BCF from AerCap

AerCap has signed lease agreements for four 737-800 Boeing Converted Freighter (BCF) aircraft with JD Airlines, the cargo airline of…

Read More

Share this story

Emirates backs freighter conversion plans despite delays

Emirates SkyCargo has confirmed it is sticking with plans to convert 10 777-300ER passenger aircraft into freighters despite production delays….

Read More

Share this story

Damian Brett

Damian Brett
I have been writing about the freight and logistics industry since 2007 when I joined International Freighting Weekly to cover the shipping sector.After a stint in PR, I have gone on to work for Containerisation International and Lloyds List - where I was editor of container shipping - before joining Air Cargo News in 2015.Contact me on [email protected]