Beleaguered Frankfurt-Hahn Airport finds a buyer

Photo: Frankfurt–Hahn Airport

Frankfurt-Hahn Airport Group, currently in administration, is to be sold to Swift Conjoy, a joint venture between real estate firm Swift Holding and aviation specialist Conjoy Investment Partners.

The sale, for an undisclosed sum, is subject to conditions and all current employees will pass to the new owner.

The airport’s administrator, Jan Markus Plathner, said the sale would secure the future of the central German gateway, which has had a chequered existence over the past few years.

The airport was 82.5% owned by China’s HNA Group, owner of Hainan Airlines, which itself was declared bankrupt in January 2021.  The local Rhineland-Palatinate government owned the remaining 17.5%.

Although freight has performed strongly during the Covid pandemic, the airport has suffered badly from the collapse in passenger traffic and the company was declared insolvent in October 2021.

Although marketed as an alternative gateway to Frankfurt Airport, Hahn’s location about two hours’ drive from the city has handicapped its development as a passenger hub.

Passenger business had fallen away sharply with the relocation of low-cost carrier Ryanair to Frankfurt several years ago.

Moreover, with the restoration of regular passenger and bellyhold freight capacity at major gateways, Hahn’s freight traffic has now fallen away, while its passenger business has yet to fully recover.

However, Plathner was optimistic about Hahn’s future: “Due to the strong demand and the successful implementation of various measures, the airport is again economically stable both in passenger and cargo traffic.”

Swift Conjoy managing directors, Tobias Steyer and Martin Mansell, added: “We are very pleased to have been awarded the contract in the bidding process and to continue and substantially expand passenger and cargo operations at Hahn. This also includes investments and the creation of new jobs in the region.”

They said that until contractual conditions are met, flight operations will continue under the insolvency proceedings.


Share this story

Related Topics

Latest cargo airport news

Airforwarders Association ramps up efforts to tackle ‘crumbling infrastructure’

By Damian Brett

The US Airforwarders Association (AfA) has appointed a senior lobbyist as it ramps up efforts to tackle “crumbling” air cargo…

Read More

Share this story

Tokyo Narita Airport set for air cargo logistics facilities development

By Rebecca Jeffrey

Tokyo Narita International Airport is set for major investment with a new project to develop air cargo logistics facilities. Commercial…

Read More

Share this story

Frankfurt cargo volumes down again in February

By Damian Brett

Cargo volumes at Frankfurt Airport continued to decline in February as the global economic downturn and war in Ukraine affected…

Read More

Share this story