BARC sale to WFS goes through

AS exclusively first revealed in Air Cargo News in February, Worldwide Flight Services, has acquired a majority shareholding in British Airways Regional Cargo (BARC), extending its coverage to a further 11 stations in the UK regions and Ireland.

WFS has purchased its 60 per cent stakeholding from three of BARC’s founders: Bryan Bullman, Jim Dunwoody and Malcolm Jackson. Terms of the acquisition have not been disclosed. The remaining 40 per cent of shares will continue to be held by British Airways World Cargo.

Olivier Bijaoui, executive chairman, president and chief executive officer of WFS, said: “The UK and Ireland is a key market for WFS. Since 2001, we have increased our operations at London Heathrow to over 250,000 sq ft and, in 2007, we established a presence at Gatwick and Stansted airports. British Airways Regional Cargo is an excellent strategic fit with the WFS business n the UK and Ireland with very little overlap and gives us the additional presence we have been looking for to grow with both existing and new airline customers.

“BARC is a well-established and profitable business with an experienced team of cargo professionals. This investment also extends our business relationship with British Airways World Cargo and this is another attractive aspect of this development.”

Patrick Roberts, vice-president, UK & Ireland for WFS, said: “By combining the WFS and BARC cargo handling networks, we are creating a unique spread of operations across the UK and Ireland. This increased coverage will significantly increase the appeal of WFS as a ground handler in this market and enable us to provide additional services to both our current and future airline customers.”

All of the BARC cargo handling operations will be branded as Worldwide Flight Services under the deal. The sales activities currently undertaken by BARC for British Airways in the UK will continue under the current identity and as a dedicated division with its own management.

L-R: Mike Stewart (BARC) and Pat Roberts

Share this story
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn