Polar appoints new COO

POLAR Air Cargo Worldwide has made former DHL Express executive Thomas Murphy its new chief operating officer.

Murphy – who was DHL Express’ senior vice president aviation for Asia Pacific in Singapore – will manage Polar’s day-to-day activities out of Purchase, New York.

“We are very pleased to have Tom join our team, to lead and support the Polar business,” said William Flynn, president and chief executive officer of Polar. “His broad airline and airfreight experience, knowledge of the Asian markets, where Polar concentrates, and familiarity with DHL’s express network operations are a great benefit to us.”

Murphy succeeds Randy Clark who led the launch of Polar’s Express Network programme.

“We would like to thank Randy Clark for his leadership, and significant contributions to Polar,” said Flynn. “Randy led months of detailed planning and implementation that initially led up to the two aircraft launch before expansion to current levels. He was integrally involved in all operational management, IT solutions, sales, as well as the start-up of new hubs. The resulting Express Network program has been a success for Polar and its partner DHL. We wish him well in his future pursuits.”

DHL owns 49 per cent and Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings the remaining 51 per cent of Polar.

Share this story